Running Horizon Windows Remote Applications within a Horizon Linux VDI Desktop
In this quick walkthrough we're going to demo how to run RDS Remote App published Microsoft Word from a Horizon Linux Desktop by completing the following steps:
- Log in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launch the Horizon Client.
- Launch the Microsoft Word Published App.
- Close the Microsoft Word Published App.
In order to perform the full end-to-end demo make sure you have the following:
- A valid account in the VMware TestDrive environment, signup here if you don't
- Network access from your device and TCP ports 80, 443 and 4172 & UDP 4172 enabled
- An appropriate Horizon client installed on your device
- An appropriate web browser (such as Google Chrome) installed on your device
Let's get started, open up your favorite web browser and get sign into the Horizon Workspace Portal
Once you're logged in and at the Horizon Workspace Portal home screen, we need to add the Horizon Linux Desktop to our dashboard (If you've already got these, skip ahead to where we first launch the Horizon Linux Desktop session from Workspace)
Hit the "App Center" icon.
All Available Apps appear for all regions.
In the search field, type in <region>-rhel (i.e. amer-rhel)
Click "Add App" on the Linux Desktop Icon, then click the "My Apps" Button in the top right of the window.
Launch the new Linux Desktop Icon
Log onto the Horizon Linux VDI Desktop with your Linux Desktop credentials. The password is: vmware
On the Horizon Linux Desktop, launch the VMware Horizon Client
Click the"New Server" button and type in your regions Horizon View Connection server FQDN (i.e. hv6amer.vmwdemo.com)
Log in with your credentials.
Launch the Microsoft Word Horizon RDS Remote App published in your region.
Show that Microsoft Word works by typing some text.
Close Microsoft Word Horizon RDS Remote App.
End of Demo.
Here is a recap of what we just did:
- Logged in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launched the Horizon Client.
- Launched the Microsoft Word Published App.
- Close the Horizon Microsoft Word RDS Remote App.